Sunday, January 29, 2012

Changing my story

4


It has become more and more apparent to me in the past few weeks that life is starting to change pace. For myself and the people I know. A lot of the people I went to school with are getting promotions, getting married, engaged, getting pregnant, raising kids or buying homes. And it is so inspiring and amazing and I couldn't be happier for them. I always knew that 2012 was going to be big; and that my 22nd year would lead me to a more mature and professional platform but not so soon in the year.

So this morning, I am pleased to say, something amazing happened. As of yesterday, I had zero savings whatsoever, just a deep pit in my stomach filled with anxiety about the fact that at my age I have nothing to show for my time here financially. Then I stumbled across this post by Rachel from In Spaces Between, and it all made sense. Every day we are writing our own story, and the longer I sat back and moped about what I didn't have instead of embracing what I did; the longer I would be harbouring this negativity.

So I opened up a Ubank account. It's basically a bank account with zero fees and a hefty interest turnover. And then I did something a little crazy, I set my goal as $20,000 and named it "home account", because yes, I just started saving for a home. Today. And immediately I feel I can do anything. Granted it is going to take a long time but I am alright with this. 

One thing I have learn from my experience with blogging thus far is that you need to push, push, push until you break through. I have been blogging from this blog for the past 2 years or so (I have started fresh more than once!) and I have nine followers. But of those nine, I have gained two in the past week (shout out to Paige and Lilia!). That is perseverance! Nothing worth having will ever come easily, and I don't think I would want it to; where is the lesson in that!

What would you change if only you had the inspiration to?

{Image Link}

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/3331872/breathe-the-rain?claim=b37vaf2gnfy">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

4 comments:

  • February 1, 2012 at 9:55 PM

    What a beautifully inspiring post Melissa! You really can do anything you put your mind too & we know these things in our heart, but sometimes seeing them in front of us is what we need to spur us into action. You have a gorgeous blog lovely & 2012 is going to be 'your year.' xx

  • February 2, 2012 at 4:26 AM

    Hooray! Good for you for thinking big from the get go! For me saving is hard b/c there is no instant gratification. But I force myself to do it b/c it wards off the anxiety. And little by little you get there and one day you realize, "damn, i just saved such and such amount." And that feels good. I'm still not quite where I want to be either, but I've had a few of those moments and know that I'm moving in the right direction. Good luck to you in 2012 + welcome to handwritten! So glad to have you!

  • February 2, 2012 at 2:55 PM

    That is amazing Melissa - so proud of you! The best things in life are often the ones that seem crazy at the time! I have no doubt in my mind that you'll reach your goal and look back on that moment as one of the best decisions you've made.
    PS: Love the 'dream home' pic - stunning! xx

  • February 2, 2012 at 5:21 PM

    Thank you so much Rach :) You are very right, we can do anything if only we try :) Having my goal in front of me makes me realise it is within grasp. I am really glad you like my blog :) I am considering a new theme soon :) xo

    Haha you're so right Tabitha! It's always been hard for me in the past because I see the money going elsewhere but I don't get to have any fun with it haha, fingers crossed hey :) Every day we are getting better and better though :) Haha thank you for having me :) xo

    Thanks Kim :) You're so right, its good to have insanely unrealistic dreams, you just might surprise yourself by making them come true :) Hehe I really hope you're right :) Thanks, I found it on Pinterest, I am a little addicted haha xo :)

Post a Comment