Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sunshine

4

Something amazing happened the other day; I found my sunshine. I don't know where it had been hiding but I am so grateful that is has returned. I do feel a lot like I have a backlog of happiness pushing its way into my life however, and it feels great!


I have decided a few things over the past week. Anyone who knows me well knows that I am completely indecisive and will jump from choice to choice very quickly, however these choices are good and solid and will bring joy to myself and others. 


I am three years into a half-baked Arts degree majoring in Media and Writing. I hate it. I love the writing, well writing in general I guess, but the reason for the degree in the first place, other than to keep my Dad happy, was for the Media. You see, I was hell-bent on being a journalist; that was until I realised that journalism isn't about spreading joy and happiness, it is about the facts. I simply can't bring myself to invest so heavily in a career which isn't going to bring joy to others, alas goodbye journalism. 


But I needed those journo units to make up enough units to graduate, so have had a bit of a heart to heart with myself and have decided to change to a psychology major. I have always been insanely interested in cognitive behaviour. It is insane how much of who we are is to do with circumstances and mindsets we find ourselves in. So I think this will be a really good decision; to study psychology. It would give me an insight into the inner workings of our mind and through that I will be able to help people. Not as a psychologist but through writing from a psychological insight. It sounds boring but wow am I excited!


Have you made any huge decisions lately? I would love to know :) x Melissa


{Image by the Notebook Doodles}

4 comments:

  • April 22, 2012 at 9:47 PM

    Hey, Melissa!

    I changed my major too! Had studied marketing for 2,5h years and was only one semester away from getting the degree, but I hated it. Felt depressed all the time. It was my best decision so far!!!

    And just two days ago I decided to quit my job.

    Life is just too short to waste it on things you don't enjoy!

    The decision of yours must have taken a lot of courage! You rock!

    Follow your bliss!

    :)

    R

  • April 23, 2012 at 8:05 AM

    Hey Risse :)

    That is exactly how I felt! Like I didn't have too far to go either but it was just the fact that I had to cross that divide and I couldn't mentally do that. So happy to hear that you chose your happiness over what others may think :) My Dad doesn't know I changed majors yet but I figure at 22 I am old enough to not need the permission of others. I really hope you like your new major :) What did you decide to change to??

    And wow, thats great about your job, life really is way too short to spend it doing things that bring you to life :) I really hope your choices bring you nothing but joy :)

    x Melissa

  • May 4, 2012 at 7:25 AM

    Hello :). I've just stumbled upon your blog and I really like it! Congrats for being brave enough to persue what you really want to do!

    xx

    Kipa

    http://confessionsofaunigirl.blogspot.co.uk/

  • May 6, 2012 at 3:38 PM

    Aw thank you Kipa :) I just started following your blog too :) Thats awesome that you speak spanish as well :) I am slowly learning the language (very slowly) haha :) xo Melissa

Post a Comment