Monday, May 28, 2012

Dream HUGE

6

A few years ago, when I first got it into my mind to learn the French language, I was asked why I should bother. After all, I live in Australia, have never travelled anywhere particularly exotic, or even knew anyone who spoke more than a few words of the language.


And I found this insulting. Why should I learn? Why should I not you mean! I am a very big believer in doing something simply because you can. I am currently teaching myself the guitar, and four languages, as well as studying psychology, just for the sake of it. Chances are I will never be too fabulous at any of these skills, but the point is that I am making an active decision regularly to hone these skills, for no other purpose than my own fulfilment.


I think this speaks volumes for the human spirit. We have this intense thirst for knowledge and to become more than a physical being yet in this age of such vast digital technology it does feel a lot like the need to acquire skills is unnecessary as you can simply pay for it to be done or cheat our way through till the end. We have lost the thrill of reaching unthinkable milestones.


I urge you; please, go learn something! Learn the drums and rock the shit out of the songs of your teen years. Learn to sew and create something mind-blowing. Paint a picture using your hands because the paint feels cool that way. JUST DO SOMETHING. Do it because life is short and we all have an expiry date which sadly isn't far off. You need to utilise each and every moment and to be the biggest and most incredible person you simply can be. You owe yourself that much, because you are amazing :)


Je suis Melissa, vous sera mon ami?



6 comments:

  • May 28, 2012 at 10:32 PM

    Love this post! I took french for four years in high school, even went to France and stayed with a French family for a while, but I can't remember anything. How are you teaching yourself? xo

  • June 7, 2012 at 6:19 PM

    you are a smart girl:)
    i think the same... I always have a need of learning something new and never give up. I'm not a brilliant baker but I still look for some new recipes ;)
    thanks for some warm thoughts
    X Hilla

  • June 7, 2012 at 9:00 PM

    My goodness! Sorry Shannon! I completely missed your comment :( Woah that would have been amazing! I would love to travel to France one day :) Haha my self teaching is pretty sporatic, I know a few words though :) I have all these basic french words all over my wardrobe doors and I try to substitute words where I can like using french days of the week on my work organiser lol. It looks silly to work mates walking past my desk lol. I do have these apps though 'Mind Snacks" I think they are called and they are A-MAZING! best $5.50 of my life haha :)

    Aw thank you Hilla :) I just personally feel that I am at my happiest when I have concocting some plan of greatness and that usually consists of me deciding to something crazy and completely unnecessary haha. Oh I am sure your baking is just wonderful :) I also like baking :) As a vegan its slightly different to 'conventional' baking so half the job is getting people to try my food haha. My pleasure, thank you reading, I really hope you were able to take something away from it :)

    x Melissa

  • June 10, 2012 at 7:23 PM

    Oh Melissa, I totally agree. I'm learning Chinese for year 12 and although it has it challenges, it's fantastic and so worthwhile. Good luck with French, don't give up! xxx

  • June 19, 2012 at 3:32 PM

    Aw that's so great to hear you are loving Chinese! Down the track I want to learn Sanskrit which is also a lot of hieraglyphics but it looks mighty hard. So great to hear youre not only getting it, but actually enjoying :) And thank you! I can see it taking me a while to learn the language but Its always fascinated me so its here to stay :)
    x Melissa

  • January 15, 2013 at 12:23 PM
    Anonymous :

    I just wanted to say that little post really inspired me. So thanks for a ray of sunshine in my day(:

Post a Comment